About This Role
Multicultural Australia is currently offering an opportunity for Cultural Support Workers to work as part of our Community Development & Engagement team. The roles are casual and based in Brisbane or Toowoomba. CSWs assist with delivering culturally appropriate and responsive support (e.g., advice, language, capacity building, etc.) alongside Multicultural Australia staff and our clients, to achieve outcomes. CSWs are employed as advisors with lived experience, to participate in group consultations together with other CSWs to support Multicultural Australia and other service providers to design and deliver programs that meet the needs and interests of our diverse cultural, ethnic and faith-based clients and communities.
Among other duties, the successful candidate will:
Client Services responsibilities
- Assist clients to link to essential services and with other people from their culture of origin and build other meaningful social connections;
- Deliver orientation activities including local area, household safety and public transport orientation;
- Assist with emergency and crisis intervention upon direction of a Case Manager on occasion;
Client Voice responsibilities
- Provide advice to Multicultural Australia staff and teams about the needs, priorities and experiences of communities, based on the CSW’s own lived experience and that of their community members;
- Review and provide feedback about services and programs designed by Multicultural Australia to ensure support is accessible, culturally appropriate, and informed by lived experience;
- Provide advice, based on lived experience, to external organizations that offer services to diverse communities;
What qualifications and skills do I need?
You will be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and have effective communication and interpersonal skills. As well as having a confident and positive personality, you will possess:
- Proficient language skills (reading, writing and speaking), in both English and an additional languages of either: Somali (and/or Somali cultural background)/Shilluk/Susu/Swahili/Chin Teddim/Kerreni (Karen cultural background)/Karen S’gaw (Karen cultural background)/Kurdish/Kurmanji/Kinyarwanda
- Valid Queensland Driver’s License;
- Demonstrated ability to represent Multicultural Australia in a professional manner in a variety of contexts;
- Sound and accurate knowledge and understanding of Australian culture and systems which are relevant to client settlement, along with the ability to explain information about important life skills so that clients are able to independently establish their lives in Australia;
- Demonstrated commitment to working with all members of the community, irrespective of cultural and religious affiliations and a commitment to social justice and human rights;
- Excellent records management and general administration experience, along with proficiency in MS Office and advanced computer literacy;
Successful candidate will be required to have a valid driver’s licence, police check and apply for a Working with Children Blue Card. It is a condition of employment with Multicultural Australia to fulfil all our current and future COVID-19 vaccination requirements.
How do I apply?
If your next move aligns with this position, please apply directly using the apply link!! You will redirect to our internal recruitment system to register your interest and submit a covering letter along with your resume. Please indicate which location you are applying for in your cover letter.
Please submit your application no later than COB 4 September 2023. Depending on the volume of applications received we may not be able to respond to all. However, all applications submitted will be thoroughly reviewed to assess suitability for the position. Please note interviews may be held prior to the closing date.